Saving our planet one coffee cup at a time!
Kayaking is an extremely eco-friendly way to experience Sydney Harbour with little to no impact physically, ecologically or culturally on the harbour.
Powered by people, there are no pollutants to find their way into the water, no noisy motors to disturb our neighbours (both the animal and the human kind) and being light and slow (compared to a boat), marine life are unlikely to sustain any injuries from us.
Despite this low environmental footprint, we are always working towards reducing our impact. Big believers in reduce, reuse and recycle, here are some of our favourite initiatives.
- Thanks to our reusable coffee cups (that also float, just in case…) we have saved over 25,000 cups from landfill. Our guides also use reusable water bottles and we encourage you to do the same.
- When it comes to water conservation, SBK records donuts daily—cleaning our kayaks, paddles and life-jackets with harbour water. Equipment is sanitised with eco-friendly, biodegradable, marine safe disinfectant.
- Always the fashionistas, our guides sport the latest uniforms made from recycled plastic bottles. Our kayak seats are also made from recycled plastic bottles.
- Leading by example, our guides have made a commitment to Take 3 for the Sea—collecting at least three pieces of rubbish on every tour and we love it when our paddlers do the same.
- Proud to be carbon positive, SBK produces 8 tonnes of carbon per year as a business. (An ordinary Sydney-sider produces about 15 tonnes per year). Sydney by Kayak proudly offsets 10 tonnes in carbon credits through 100% Australian tree growing and native bushland restoration projects. Additionally, the Sydney by Kayak team have personally planted nearly 200 mangroves this season! This is thanks to the great work by Eco Partner, Ecobel Sydney.